Saturday, July 26, 2008

Obama at Unity?

How many of you caught Obama's question and answer session at the Unity Convention on Sunday? What did you think?

I don't know about you but i was THROUGHLY entertained...

his critics can say what they want about him... but one thing they can't accuse him of is not having a sense of humor...

I actually thought it was really appropriate that Marc Lamont Hill put the following mos def quote in his blog on the root today

"If white boys doing it well, it’s success / when I start doing it well it’s suspect.”

I enjoyed the quote because it was exactly what Obama's response was to questions about his recent trip overseas. When asked whether or not his trip was arrogant" he replied (my paraphrasing)...

it was essentially the exact same trip that McCain took earlier this year, I don't think we should be penalized just because we did it well

We can argue all day about whether or not Obama is arrogant, or transformative or adequately radical. But on Sunday I just found myself truly in awe of how entertaining and intelligent the man is.

Don't get me wrong... I'm actually a huge Obama fan, and I don't mean to degrade or demean him by calling him entertaining... but the reality is... as a politician... the man has skills!

When asked about whether or not he would support an apology to Native Americans and/or African Americans while in office, he managed to completely change the topic to the necessity of health care and adequate schooling for all children while barely skipping a beat.

When asked about affirmative action, he managed to turn the conversation into one that talked about poor white children and high school dropouts.

During the entire conversation i consistently found myself either laughing or losing track of what the original question was.

The man is a skilled orator and politician.

Regardless of how much McCain whines about not getting enough media coverage... its really not going to matter if he doesn't stop being so boring. The reality is, Obama gets as much media coverage as he does for two reasons, 1. his candidacy is historic and 2. the man is fascinating to watch on television!

how can McCain and his infamous green background compete with that?

peace.

No comments: